Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Playing with Doom & Tea Parties

This post is an attempt to round up all the house-rules and background details I use in my Doom & Tea Parties Labyrinth Lord hack game.  It's been running for just over 2 years now and I'm quite happy with it.

This is primarily intended as a resource for my players.  I also have little random tables and the like I use on my side of the GM screen.  Many of these have been posted on this blog, and I'll probably pull them together in a post like this sometime soon.  Maybe.

It'll also serve as a one-stop spot for new players entering the campaign.  We play online, via MapTool, so it's common to have players I've never met face-to-face before.

Introduction to the Campaign

Character Creation - I ended up using the equipment lists from 2e's Al-Qadim.  Say what you will about 2e, but it had the best equipment lists.  Plus a few additional goodies.

Languages

CLASSES

Gnomes

Half-ogres

Nixies

Pixies

Rogues

Witches

For clerics: The Gods

For magic-users (usually called sorcerers IC): Residual and Secondary Powers From Prepared Spells

COMBAT
Weapons, Initiative, and Damage

Shields Shall be Splintered!

The Table of Death & Dismemberment - I do not use the Constitution bonus when rolling on this table.

Example Combat

THINGS TO BUY (not found in 2e's Al-Qadim Supplement)

Drugs & Herbs

Potions

BACKGROUND DETAILS

Timeline

Calendar

The Multiverse

The Eldest & Titans

Metals

Noble Titles Among the Efreet & Genie Corsairs

3 comments:

Cole said...

You know, I don't think I ever asked; why is it called "Doom and Tea Parties" anyway?

trollsmyth said...

Oddysey named the campaign back when she was the only regular player. I don't think it was her first experience with Old School play, but it was her first experience with an ongoing campaign in that style, and the frequency of save-or-die poison-wielding spiders in the first adventure made an impression on her.

The other notable activity was, of course, long conversations with NPCs, especially with NPC monsters. So Oddysey once described the campaign as a string of extremely polite tea parties punctuated by DOOM!

As an added note, at about the same time Raggi was trying to name an adventure he was getting ready to sell. He knew he wanted "Death" and "Frost" in the title, but he needed another word. I suggested "Doom!" based on Oddysey's comments and the rest is history.

Cole said...

Excellent.

Feng's constant, extreme paranoia can sometimes make the tea parties a little tense, but he tries.